Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I FOUND HOGWARTS



Letter # 1—April 17, 2013
I FOUND HOGWARTS

     I made it to Hogwarts safely.  It was really hard saying good-bye to you guys at platform 9 ¾, but after we parted, things got so busy I haven’t really had time to cry.  Maybe I won’t…or maybe it will come later. We are learning new spells. I will conquer the dark side! Voldemort won’t win!
     Real talk now. Things are going well here. Its my first night here in the MTC aka Hogwarts, and I’m feeling pretty good.  I have moved all my stuff in and my part of the room is so cute. I will send pictures on my p-day. Oh btw my p-day is Thurs. I don’t get one this week, but I will have one next week. I’m sad I have to wait so long, but what can you do?
     So after we said goodbye, I walked into a building accompanied by another sister and went through this like station thing to get all my stuff. PEOPLE…THIS IS NOT A DRILL! These people are organized! Impressive! I got my packet and this lady pinned my name tag on me. Super surreal moment. I looked down and it was just like BAM! IM A MISSIONARY! And it’s way cool because it is all in Norsk! Can’t read a thing besides my own name.
      From there I went to my room, dropped my stuff off and then went to my classroom and met my teachers. OKAY> First off I’m not sure if they forgot English or something, but they spoke Norwegian the whole time! WOW! The worry set in. You just kinda feel really stupid. I did allot of nervous laughing. The good thing? Everyone else is just as lost and feels just as stupid. Great Bonding!
     There are 2 different districts going to Norway with me. Guess what? There is a total of 21 missionaries between both districts and only 4 are boys! We have 17 girls! It’s awesome. Before the mission age change came, there were only 8 girls that were going or had their call to Norway. Now its growing there! There is work for us sisters to do and its exciting! Over 500 new missionaries came today. 253 Elders and 259 sisters! So amazing! The first time ever the sisters had more than the Elders on that Wed.
     After class time, we went to a meeting to meet our President. The presidency spoke and we sang “Called to Serve”. I wanted to cry my eyes out all day because I have my “new missionary” dot on so people were welcoming me to the MTC. The crazy thing? People were doing it in every language you could think of. It was sweet! After the meeting we had dinner. I stuck to the fruit after eating like we did these last few days. My compy comp and I left and went back to our dorm.
            Oh, that reminds me! My compy-comp! She is presh. Little thing with blond hair. Her name is Sister Mcarthur and she is from St. George, Ut. Way cute girl. I would tell you more, but today was information overload, so I can’t remember. I’ll get back to you guys on that. She is 19—I’m old here—honestly she is great so far.  Allot like me in how well prepared she feels she is. I’ll just call her Ron from now on.
            Lets have a chit-chat: These girls all brought more luggage than I did! GASP!! And they brought tons of shoes like I did AND tons of clothes! I knew I wasn’t the only heathen! Also MTC beds are way comfy! And Hogwarts is HUGE!! Didn’t expect it to be so big!
            So after din-din and heading to our room, we ended up spending some time unpacking. Then we took a looky at the clock and realized we needed to head to another building for a “teaching experience”.  It was pretty cool. They divided us up and we went into one room. There was a part at the front that was set up as a “house”. A person came in and was an investigator with this whole background. A companion of sisters came in and started the conversation out with the investigator. Then they left and we had to teach them acting as 2 people. It was crazy spiritual and really scarey. I never took the mike because I was too nervous, but it taught me that this work isn’t for groups, this work is for individuals. Just like the Atonement. It’s infinite, but it’s intimate. It was crazy how much love I already had for these “investigators”. Makes me excitied for Norway.
            After the first room, we moved to 2 other rooms that showed us different situations and different people. We all finished in tears. People shared very raw experiences and emotions and testimonies. We all don’t know each other, but it some how didn’t matter because we’re all here for the same reason. We love the Savior more than “all this”.  We finished up there and went back to our classrooms to meet our Zone Leader. They were nice and we had a brief meeting with them.  After that we went back to our rooms and finished unpacking and got ready for bed. Now I’m just writing you this before scriptures and nighty-night.
            I’m not crazy obsessed yet, but I know that this is where I need to be. I’m slowly falling more and more in love with this work. Gosh dangit! These people are going to convert me!! Norwegian is tough. Sounds like crazy talk, but I know the Lord is going to bless me. This is where I rely solely on faith. This is where I rely on the miracles of the Lord. I love you guys Thank-you for all you do and have done. Don’t worry about me, I’m just fighting the dark arts. KEEP IT REAL! KEEP IT CLASSY! AND MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR.
                                                                        Sister Hodgkiss
Quote of the week: “Did I miss any countries?” mission MTC president asked
                        “MERICA!”-random elder
outside facts: There were only a total of 50 missionaries in Norway as of October. They haven’t had over 50 in the past 50 years. They are bringing the number up to 250!!! 52 elders and 8 sisters in my group.
            “I JUST WAKE UP HAPPY HERE”


No comments:

Post a Comment