Monday, October 21, 2013

It's Beginning to Look allot like Christmas

Dear Weasley Family and Friends,
   "You can motivate by fear, and you can motivate by reward. But both those methods are only temporary. The only lasting thing is self motivation." - Homer Rice
     This is what has been on my mind... And I need all of your thoughts. Let's take a vote! These are your two options:
       1. I can stay Bokmal which means that I stay the dialect that Oslo speaks. It is very slow and clear and common. Very mainstream...  -OR-
       2. I can switch to Trundisk which is the dialect here and it is fast and completely different from Bokmal, but not mainstream at all. More Indy!
        Honestly, I think that this probably means nothing to you, but this is seriously business as Heather would say to Gavin. I had dreams about it last night! I was dreaming about trying to decide a dialect. It was frustrating! I am thinking about switching, but switching is like learning a new language and after 6 months I am used to Bokmal. We will see though!
          This was a week of ups and downs. We a lot of cool things and then some not so cool things. There is drama with Oliver. He wouldn't meet with us last week or answer our calls or texts. He finally sent a text that said "I don't want to be Mormon, sorry". It was so frustrating! And he wouldn't tell us why! Finally I sent him a text that just said everything I felt. I told him that he doesn't have to get baptized in November and that we have met with him a lot and had many spiritual experiences and that we deserve to know what happened. He texted back "Okay we can meet tomorrow". Come on Oliver! I cried over you! I've been sick over you! Give me something! So we are meeting with him today. He is so special that we are giving up a part of our pday for him. I don't know how it will go or what he is going to say. I just want to know that we did everything in our power to help him. I really hope that he can tell us what is wrong so that we can help him through it, but I don't really know what to think! I feel like I am preparing for a break up speech. It is not so fun, but a big part of me feels hopeful. I think that we might be able to work through it. Sometimes as I'm talking I realize how much missionary life sounds like dating life. #welcometomyeveryday
            Snow came in this week. We haven't seen much of it here in the city, but out further there has been a bunch. Guys, its cold. Like really cold. I thought I was going to die at least like 9 times. I am going shopping today for some things! Hopefully I can find something! I really hate shopping, but it has to be done. Elder Jones was nice enough to let me borrow his hoody, so I have been wearing that under my gray jacket. I really have to get some gloves though. My hands are freezing! Today we are going winter clothes shopping. Jonesy needs help picking a jacket so we are just going to make the rounds. Wishing there was a gap, that's for sure!
        Last night we had a way fun language study! It was the end of the week and towards the end of the week I am always over language study, so I asked if we could play a game på norsk as a district. We played charades where you had to act out a verb, adjective, or noun as a team. Of course the other team gives you what to act out like "you're at the beach" or "you're a missionary". One time we picked beach as our word and so they told us to be a missionary at that place. We were dying. Elder Jones and I were on the same team and we all had our eyes covered pretending to contact people as they were in their bathing suits. It was hilarious. We gave everyone the most embarrassing things to do. It was so much fun. We got done and Elder Shanklin said "Well, we know what we are doing next Sunday!" I love this district. If I get transferred I will miss having so many missionaries around. We will know in 3 weeks!!
          We met some cool people this week. A few weeks ago we were walking and talked to a man. All we told him was that we were missionaries and he gave us his name and number. He was out of town and busy forever, but finally we got an appointment with him last week. We went to his house and it was craziness. There was this other girl there and that threw us off and then we walked in and it was like a college apartment with students bustling around. We were confused. Turns out that they were friends that were packing up to leave and the girl was a girl that he had invited over randomly. Basically that girl is the reason that we met him. He is interested, but who is really interested is her and she loved it. Her name is Sylvia and she is from Uganda. Her parents were killed 10 years ago and she had to do everything on her own. Her son is still back in Uganda and she is trying to get him here. She is awesome! She believes in God (common for Africans, not common for Norwegians in the North) and was so happy. She just kept saying Thank You. It was an awesome experience. The Senior Couple, Sister Bradford went with us and she is amazing. The Spirit wasn't really there until she started speaking. She just has this ability to love in a way that not many have. Every time she comes with us to teach she always makes them feel so loved. I love her!
        Other than that it was a normal week. I hit my 6 month mark which was crazy. All the Elders in my group burned ties. I don't know what Sisters are supposed to do, but I celebrated in my head :) I had some funny stories this week. I think that this week was one of those weeks where I just realized how much of a sister missionary I am. I really tried to fight it for like ever, but then I just kinda excepted that this was life. And I think about funny things in comparison to my old life. I still cry about boys all the time, but these boys are all my investigators and its because they won't read the Book of Mormon. I painted my nails the other day and I seriously felt like I was prepping for the Red Carpet. One of the first things I want to do when I get home after I hug all of you is get my hair done and my nails done. I try to re-create that here in the mission field but it just isn't the same. Last night I put a mask on my face and I am just getting into bed to enjoy some quiet time when my phone rings. I keep dropping the phone and finally Elder Jones is like "What is going on?" I sighed really loud and said "Elder Jones, I just put a mask on my face and if I hold the phone close it will get all over it...." his response? Laughter and then "First world problems"
      One day this week people just kept looking really excited to see me and so I would wave and then would wave back. It was weird. We were just walking down the street and everyone kept being super friendly. Søster Bradley kept asking if I knew them and each time I was like "Nope, haven't got a clue!" It was a good day. I felt popular! And then we ran into my friend who is homeless and has his gospel in his backpack and he sang to us in Arbic. #Livingthedream
     Yep. I'm a Sister Missionary.
 I would like to gladly report though that there has not been a day that I have not worn makeup. And I still change outfits like 3 times every morning before I decide on one. #goingstrong #takethatBucky #canthaveuglypicturesthatihavetoshowmyfurturehusband
   Things are going well here. How is everyone doing there? I love you guys like crazy! Sorry this was a lame email!! I will be back on later to send some pics and respond to any of yalls emails!
Love you!
Keep it real. Keep it classy. And may the odds be ever in your favor.
Love,
Katniss

No comments:

Post a Comment