Monday, October 28, 2013

Wishing you Guys were here

Dear Weasley Family and Friends,
      I'm just going to be honest with you guys. I might have cried a little when I opened up all the emails today. I have missed you guys like crazy lately. I have narrowed it down to a few reasons #1. I got a little sicky this week, and so I have been taking it easy. No one wants to be sick far away from home! Sister Bradford and Bradley are doing a good job of mothering me though, so no worries. I just feel wiped out. Really hoping this is just some weird bug and not depression... yeah its dark a lot these days... like the sun.. not my personality... this is awkward... #2. I saw all those cute pictures of new babies, and coming baby, and young babies, and old babies, and I feel like they don't know who I am/ they all look really different already/ I haven't met some of them / some of them are still in their mom's bellys, but you guys get the point! It just made me a little sad. Do they remember who I am? It's only been 6 months! How have they changed so much? BOO! #3. Honestly this is probably the most likely one, its that you guys are pretty cool and no one is quiet like you, so I think I just miss that a lot. 
    Thank you for all the pictures, videos, and emails. I know that sometimes it makes me a little sad, but I really need/want to hear from you guys and sometimes the sadness just goes along with it. I love all of the fun things you guys are doing! I feel like I can live through your emails! I really do miss y'all though. I am worried about the winter guys. I hate that its dark so much. People are weird in the dark. People are weird in the North, but I feel like the dark even makes them weirder! Is that even possible? 
     I got the package this week! Oh man did I need that! I was dying I was so excited! And everything was perfect and exactly what I needed! I could not believe how fast it got here! Did that cost you a million dollars? Did you secretly just fly it over yourself and leave it? Funny story! So our apartment is right next to the church right? Well the company that you sent it through is DHL which means it has to be left at your house and signed by you. We weren't home when the mail came so the mail man just walked it over to the church and had Mryhan (a member that is always here) sign for it. I about died laughing. I guess we are well known in this town! Really, though THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I loved it!! And I loved the hand written letter too :) and the picture! I also got my credit card too, so I will activate it this week! 
     I'm just throwing this out there.... We visited a member named Krystle this week. She is from Tyler, Texas but is married to a Norwegian so moved here. Her mom visited her this week and brought the pumpkin reeces. Okay. Seriously how have I ever lived without them? Norway doesn't understand the idea of peanut butter, that's for sure! 
       Okay, that picture of Shadow almost made me pee in my pants! What? How did that even happen? Since when does Shadow dress up?! Also, okay Brent, I'm ticked that I have yet to receive a pillow with your picture on it. Hahahahaha you are such and eeeddddioooott. Remember how I came up with that word? I do. Katie, I love your pictures! That one of Corby, Jade, and Nixon is so cute!! Eeek!! Heather, let's be real. Send your children to me in a box. I will teach them Norwegian and send them back. Okay? 
     Lori & Brent- OH MY GOSH. What? I want a t-shirt with the picture of the sonogram on it! Its so real! Like this is real! You are having a baby! I am so happy :) Congrats. Little Hailey Jr. is going to be so cute. Actually, on second thought call her Katniss. You know, I hear the second movie is coming out. Any chance that you guys could like record parts of it and send it to me?? Just kidding.... #maybenot 
     So this week had its goods and downs. I am going to be honest with you guys, I am a little down lately. I don't know what it is. I might just be feeling this way because I haven't felt the best lately. Like I said before, I really hope that its just that and not the winter blues or anything. I don't really have time to be depressed. I have too many things to do and not enough time and missionary work is hard enough with out depression, so I don't really want to add that to the mix. I think it also doesn't help that I feel blah about myself. I saw a terrible picture of myself this week and about just laid on the floor and never got back up. It's okay though. I will just stop eating forever. Just kidding. Is this email sounding suicidal/ bulimic? I feel I might be coming off too strong in this email. Anywho, let's move on to some things that happened this week!
     So Oliver returned back to my life in full swing. Monday was awesome and then we saw him again on Thursday. He is the best, guys. He committed to live the law of tithing. We also watched Lord, I Believe by Elder Holland with him. He loved it, as I knew he would. When I listened to the talk the other day I kept thinking how the 14 year old he talks about is just like Oliver, and what does Oliver say when the talk is over? "I feel like I am just like that 14 year old." Check. Inspiration received and delivered. #onmywaytoapostleship On Friday he came to this awesome YSA activity we had. It was a night full of games that had to do with candy. The first was a get to know you one where you picked candy and then depending on the kind had to tell something about yourself. Elder Jones brilliantly picked all one color and then had to tell us 4 of his favorite memories. I was dying watching him try to think of what to say. The next game was where you pick to M&M like things from a pot and if they aren't the same color you have to just hold them in your mouth. This went for awhile until we got sick of it and then just spit all of our chocolate out. No one ever gave up though. Then we had to stick our faces in whipped cream to get the gummies. Jonesy refused to play, so that meant I had to play. It actually wasn't that bad, because lets be real, I love whipped cream! The last game was where you take a straw and a M&M and have to get it to the other side of the room. Guys, I can't even blow a balloon up, how am I supposed to move a M&M. Impossible. So I dropped mine on the floor and then used my straw to blow the candy to the other side of the room. Then I saw Elder Nielsen stealing Elder Jones' M&Ms from his cup so I joined in with that, but got caught. Long story short, it was fun, Oliver was awesome, and Jones knocked my cup over and I lost that one M&M I worked so hard to get. I would call that night a success. 
        Its a weird relationship that you have with your investigators. You become like a proud mom. When Oliver was there and participating and just being cool I was beaming. It was great. We were able to teach him afterwards too! Sadly though, he didn't come to church, which means that he can't be baptized on the date we had picked, which means that I probably won't see it because I might get transferred. So I sat in sacrament meeting and cried. I know that its dumb and selfish of me to want him to be baptized sooner than later, but its just kinda how I feel. I don't want to miss him baptism! It will probably be better this way anyways though because we need to meet him mom and get permission for him to be baptized. Yeah... anyone have any advice on that one? How do I ask a mother if her son can join a life altering church? Maybe with brownies? I can't believe I am even old enough to have that kind of conversation with a mother! 
        You guys, we were contacting the other night and it was around 8 o'clock meaning that it was completely dark outside, and this drunk guy comes up to me and is like "HEEELLLOO!!!" and was all over me! I felt like I was back in Russia. Sister Bradley was freaking out and I am just trying not to laugh. He was holding my hand and kept trying put his arm around my waist. He was really sweet though. Just a sweet old man! But drunk. Very, very drunk. It always makes for a good story when you have crazy contacts. 
           One day this week we got on the wrong bus and couldn't find our stop and once we got to the end of the line the bus driver asked me where I wanted to go, so I was explaining to him, and he was giving me directions on how to get back. I thanked him and got off the bus and started following his directions, and he honked at me! A bus driver honked at me! And he waved me in the right direction. #onlyinnorway 
             Our investigators are doing good. Of course I would like them to all be baptized by the time I leave, but unfortunately the Lord is not in agreement with me :) Patience is a virtue right? Our traveling sister, Sister Pace, was here this week. It was really interesting because at the end of the day we were walking back to our apartment and grabbed me and pulled me aside and said "What happened to you?! You are a COMPLETELY different missionary!" Here's the thing guys, this conversation got interrupted and I never heard the end of it! I do know what she means though. Lately I have been trying really hard to be outgoing. I know you guys are like, come on, this is Hailey we are talking about, of course she is outgoing, but I'm not when it comes to Norwegian and being rejected. I am getting better though! I try to just not care about what people think about me. I think that Pace really caught on to the fact that I'm actually speaking all the time and taking a really active role. I didn't have the chance to tell her its because I want to train and I figured if I am going to train then I probably need to be able to do all those things on my own, but who cares the reason right? I don't think I am training, by the way, so don't get your hopes up. Maybe President will keep Sister Bradley and I together? I've been in Trondheim for almost 5 months now! That's a long time! But really I could serve my whole mission here and not get sick of it! 
            It's really funny because about 3 weeks before transfers start everyone starts talking about moves rumors. Its ridiculous, but they just spread through the mission. Of course you guys know how I feel about rumors. I try to be the first one to start them! Seriously though, its so ridiculous. We will sit around at dinner or on a pday and talk about moves for like hours. Everyone just wants to know! I really don't have any idea what will be happening to me though. It makes sense that I would leave, but maybe he will keep me! We will see. Mom, transfers are Nov. 13th, so if you can get the stuff to me before than, then send it, but if not, just wait :)
             I heard that you guys were wondering why I would have to change my dialect. That's a really good question... haha that's what I say in lessons... Okay but really. So I don't have to change at all. Honestly, President would probably rather us all speak Bokmal. It's the clearest and easiest to understand. It's the countries real language. Everything that is written is written in Bokmal. But, then once you go to new towns you start hearing different dialects. In the south over to the west they pronounce their Rs weird and it sounds more like Danish. Some are stronger than others. Trøndisk is basically its own language, so it would be like learning something completely different. But I love Trøndisk, and I would love to have a dialect instead of just Bokmal. It's hard though because you have throw out all your old rules! I am working on it though! Ask me about it at Christmas and I will let you hear the difference! 
              I love my coat! I know it doesn't look very warm, but it is! It is a down coat, so basically imagine your down blanket comforter and then imagine wrapping up in that to go outside. That is basically my life everyday. It's grand. 
            Thanks for all the love and support guys. I really already feel better just writing this to you. I think I needed to just talk and know that people that really love and care about me will be on the other side reading. I miss you guys tons, but I am doing good. The work in coming along here an there are many exciting things happening. Can't wait to talk to y'all at Christmas!!!
Keep it real. Keep it classy. And may the odds be ever in your favor!
Love,
Kat
P.S. I expect to see pictures of all the babies in Halloween costumes!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment