Monday, February 10, 2014

Mission Impossible: Tønsberg edition‏

Dear Weasley Family and Friends,
   Fact: High council members are boring to listen to in sacrament in ever country and in every language. #somethingneverchange
    This week has been an eventful one! We are one week closer to Emmanuel's baptism! #12days And Sister Thurgood and I locked everything we owned in our car. Wait what?... maybe I should explain that one... 
     So this week has been a HARD one. I am completely convinced that Satan hates us. We all know that when we try to do good things that Satan comes in and works even harder. With a baptism you always have to saddle yourself up for hell, because its coming. He either works on you or on your investigator. Obviously I would much rather be the one to take it, but still, you know, it isn't the funnest. So it was a week of self loathing, crying, no motivation, and long talks about feelings. Saturday came and TJ and I both had had enough. We were exhausted and overwhelmed. We sat in our kitchen and we talked about the anxiety we felt. TJ said "I think we should go for a run." We had 20 minutes before we had to be some where and we decided that it would be good for us to let our steam off and then carry on. We dropped everything we were doing sprinted down the stairs and changed into running clothes. I had had it so I decided that I wanted to run in as little clothing as possible. #thingsyouwillregret We got all of our clothes and shoes and everything we would need and we put it in our car so that after we ran we could jump in it and go to our appointment. In AMERICA, the cars don't self lock, so I put the keys in the back seat. This is Norway people, no one steals. They just go to the government and ask for more money. 
    So we take off. We just sprint and let it all go. I started yelling about everything I hated, everything that was bothering me, and TJ joined in. It sounds completely stupid but yelling at the top of your lungs is actually quite helpful! We ran down this street and it came to a dead end because there was this huge field. TJ and I looked at each other and then started run in the field. It was freezing!! There was 3 feet of snow and we had bare skin showing! Our whole bodies went numb. We stood in the middle of that stupid field with the wind blowing and the snow/rain falling on us, completely numb and soaked, and we screamed as loud as we could. It kept going until TJ said "I hate that the Savior had to feel all of this." And I turned to her and I started bearing my testimony of the Savior and his love for us. As we talked about it, the Spirit was so strong. It was like everything that had sucked all week didn't matter anymore because we had this moment in the middle of some dumb field. We both sprinted to the top of the hill and then walked back hand and hand to the apartment. By the time we got there I was dead. All I wanted was a nice warm place to lay down in. My clothes were soaked through and my hand were bring red. I went to the door to open it, and nothing. I went to the other door and then nothing. I turned around and looked at TJ and she just knew, and we both started hysterically laughing. Everything we owned was in that car. #were21
       We decided to walk to Mariana's house which ended up being about a 45 minute walk. I don't know how we made it. The weather was awful, but it was like there was a light all around us. I didn't feel tired or that I couldn't go on, it felt like someone was pushing me the whole way. We splashed each other in puddles, talked about how our mothers would kill us, and sang Miley Cyrus at the top of our lungs. Oh I didn't mention that we didn't even have name tags on... #missionaryfail When we got to the members house she was in shock. She made us change in as soon as we steped in. She got us new clothes and warm drinks and food. It was so funny! Her and her husband were like our parents. They told us we couldn't ever do it again. I think they were even a little disappointed #toomanysetsofparentals We had a good laugh though. We just kept saying "Well we're 21, that's for sure!" We had a HUGE issue with the mission office and trying to figure out what to do, but finally we just called a locks smith. In the end it all worked out :) The member's husband isn't a member and he told his wife that we were the funniest and best missionaries that they had EVER had over. #thisiswhatapersonalitywillgetyou
         So yeah.... I'm still and idiot :) #noteverythingchanges
       What else happened? Hmm... I got my package!! HOLY COW!! Mom, you did good! TJ and I were freaking out because we could just see it in our heads! We are SO excited for this party!! It is going to be so cute! So Hodgkiss style! Over and beyond! The branch is just going to eat it all up. I will be sending lots of pictures!!!! Yay!! 
      We had Norwegian Mother's Day yesterday. No one was doing anything so TJ and I took matters into our own hands. We made sugar cookies and then decorated them like little people and we made hand made cards. When we handed them out all of the women were shocked. I was just like People, this is not a drill. You should expect these things! It is a very different culture than America! We also sang "Mother I love you" in Norwegian for sacrament meeting. I felt like a complete idiot, but all the women were in a haze. It was precious. The things you do on a mission... 
       Emmanuel is rocking along. This Friday is his baptismal interview. He is so ready! He wants to get baptized faster, but we don't have enough time to teach him everything, so it is still planned on the 22nd. We might be moving it to the 23rd because that is Temple week and a lot of the members are going to be gone, but it will be that weekend. He seriously is the cutest. He told me that he wished he could go home with us in our suit cases. He is precious! Love it! 
       Tomorrow we are going to a high school to give a presentation on the church. Sister Thurgood and I are pretty excited! We also have Zone Leader Training and interviews with President. This week is going to be a busy one! 
       I got a blessing last week and I asked a member to give it to me. That's right, I had a blessing in Norsk and I understood it. It was actually a really weird moment when i realized that I had more possibilities than just English. But it was a great blessing and the member had a really cool experience with it. Yay for double purposes! 
        Quote time: 
"We don't have roll over minutes as missionaries."
"I don't know what these people think, taking a break from the church. Yeah, I'm going to take a break from the Celestial Kingdom. I'm just going to go and live at a lower degree of glory for a few days..." 
     I think the quotes weren't up to par this week due to unforeseen forces of evil A.K.A. -> Satan. 
      I studied a lot this week for peace. I really really REALLY had a hard time finding it. I thought a lot about Elder Holland's talk, Like A Broken Vessel. Being happy is something that I have struggled with my whole life. I find it hard. I used to think that it was something that came from outside circumstances, but as I have gotten older my view of that has changed. This last week things were really hard, but at the same time they weren't. Our numbers were good, our area is good, we have a baptism coming up, everything was great, except I still didn't feel great. Happiness is a fleeting feeling in this life. We are promised peace, but true happiness won't come until the next life. That doesn't mean that life is all boring and bleak, but it does mean that to imagine that you can stay at a perfect 10 your whole life is crazy talk. In my head that's what I want, but then I think back to those dark times, and I see the things I learned. I remember the moment I saw light again, and the feeling of being saved. Those things are inexpiable and unforgettable. We have to experience pain and sadness so that we can know peace and happiness. We have to experience periods of real darkness so that we  can come to know what true light is. Elder Holland said, "We are living- and chose to live- in a fallen world where for divine purposes our pursuit of Godliness will be tested and tried again and again." I think that it is easy to accept, because that we live in this fallen world, that all things will be fallen. For me, in my head, sometimes I just think well I'm sad right now and then some other day I'm going to be sad again, so what is even the point of all of this? Let's just skip the work and be sad all the time. Sometimes in my darkest moments, I feel that hope is lost. But we have been taught that "Hope is never lost. If those miracles do not come soon or fully or seemingly at all, remember the Savior's own anguished example: if the bitter cup does not pass, drink it and be strong, trusting in happier days ahead." I know that happier days are always ahead. I sure as heck know, that they aren't behind, I'll tell you that for free. And its always good that we remember that "We are infinitely more than our limitations or our afflictions." We have a father in heaven who loves us. That love never changes. It is always there, and he is always there. 
         I love you all. 
Keep it real. Keep it classy. And may the odds be ever in your favor!

Love,
Louci

No comments:

Post a Comment