Monday, April 7, 2014

PEPSI BOTTLES IN THE SAND

Dear Family and Friends,
   "Endings are not our destiny!" -President Uchtdorf 
     You guys, let's just have like a 10 second general conference rant sesh. I LOVED it. Honestly, GC, for missionaries, is better than Christmas. It starts, President Uchtdorf gets up there, and I feel like I'm waiting for the line up to the next big football game. I just want a drum roll or some start up music or something because I'm just freaking out. Elder Holland starting conference off early? Well played, President Monson, well played. The Preisthood session (which we go to as missionaries :) )? I was speechless. The flower arrangements and the outfits for the MoTab? I would rather not comment on those, but what I am trying to say was conference was AWESOME!!!! I have just been starring at my notes since it all started. And here we watched like 4 sessions on Sunday so it was just a marathon of inspiration. All and all lets talk about my favorites:
     Dallin H. Oaks (priesthood session)- Talked about the Priesthood like a champ. Discussed how women don't have the priesthood but do use the authority of the priesthood. Changed my whole view of the power and authority I have as a missionary. 
     Elder Hallstrom (priesthood session)- "That's just the way I am!" NO!!! It's not just the way you are! Don't even think it! The Savior did not die so that you could just remain the way you are! He died so that you could become infinitely more than what you are!! Okay, he didn't say it quite like that, but we all know that I've always been a little on the dramatic side...
      Richard D. Scott (Saturday afternoon session)- How to become someone that inspires others. I LOVED this talk!! I loved the patterns of the Savior throughout the entire talk. He could have easily been like "How do we become someone that influences others?" and then said "Be like the Savior" and moved on, but he didn't! He used the story of his grandmother and wife to illustrate it. That has always been one of my favorite things about the Savior. He loved people and opened up and allowed them the opportunity to decide where the gospel could heal them. Our character is always strengthened when we choose for ourselves how we will act. I want to be the kind of person that he talks about!! I need this talk like STAT so I can start high lighting and cross referencing!! 
    And last, but not least.... President Uchtdorf (Sunday morning session)- Gratitude y'all. I mean who knew? Its funny actually because I was talking to Elder Rushton about having a hard time and he started talking to me about gratitude and how he we focusing on it. Ever since then it just kept popping up. So I loved this talk because I find it so true, when we are grateful through our trials it really does change things. I loved that he said that just because we are grateful doesn't mean that we are happy with our circumstances, that we look through the eyes of faith and see something more than our current situations. Great talk! Love this man! 
      All and all it was a great conference. I loved all of it, but those were my favorites. What did you guys like? It kinda was just as great as Christmas too because I got to talk to a lot of you on the phone! That was kinda insane, but I really felt like I needed it so I am so glad that everything is playing out like it is!! And it will be great to skype with Jordan and Lins and have my convert talk to them. I think it will really help him with the eternal perspective. President was super excited about the idea as soon as I said it. It was great!! And it was great to talk to a lot of you. Its funny because I feel like nothing has changed. Like I get on the phone and I might as well be calling you from Utah after a class. And I can't believe that in 10 days I will have been gone for a year!!! And in 6 months I will be back home! Man, time goes fast. I'm not even going to start thinking about the future because that just stresses me out! 
     This last week was good. We had a lot of appointments and things to do. On missions, the days are long and the weeks are short. Time is weird. We did a lot of service outside in members yards. I've come to really love yard work. Anything that can put me outside in the fresh air with blue skies is something I'm down for. And a lot of members grilled out for us too. The weather is starting to turn to perfection. No one has better Springs and Summers than Norway. I am definitely getting enough vitamin D! 
      But to break up the monotonous of this e-post let's see a few funny quotes from SoJO:
  SoJo bearing her testimony after personal study about how everyone will know that the Jesus is the Savior: "And one day everyone is going to know its TRUE!!! And I don't like to na-na-boo-boo people but..."
       SoJo and I's conversation about an Elder we know...
   Me: "Oh. His widows peak is awful..."
 SoJo: "That's not a window peak, Sister. That's a widow perch. It looks like he's wearing some kind of Indian tribal garb!" 
     I about peed in my pants when she said that one. We were laying in bed talking about all sorts of things and I just laughed and snorted forever. Oh man! I laugh all the time. I've been so lucky to have FUNNY companions pretty much my whole mission. I think I laugh like crazy probably every day, and if I don't then there is something seriously wrong and we go and get ice cream! 
   Guys... I know mishes aren't supposed to be judgey, but what was Jean A. Stevens thinking? I mean she is a pretty lady. I loved her make up and her fake eye lashes, but the hot pink dress? That was bold. I am shocked. Props to you, Jeany. 
    Last Monday a member invited us over to play karaoke. Talk about a blast. The elders were all sassy about it and then they got there and loved it. We couldn't get them to stop singing. It was super funny! And I feel like we discovered some real covered talent. 
    Also... I closed my eyes for like 2 seconds at the beach last pday and then the next thing I know my 2 liter Pepsi Bottle is buried in the sand. #Rushton #deathstare #whyohwhy
     Basically it was a good week all and all. I was able to talk to my convert and get everything worked out. Basically he struggles with depression and when he was texting me he was having a hard day and he said some crazy things, but he is doing good and we worked through it :)
  I love you all!
Keep it real. Keep it classy. And may the odds be ever in your favor!

Love,
Kat

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LINSEY AND DAD!!!! I hope that your birthdays are awesome and fun! And that you both eat lots of cake :) Lins, I'll be talking to you soon på skype so you can tell me all about it. Daddy- just be good to yourself. I know things are crazy with tax season, but at least eat one of your favorite meals.... nachos in the oven! Love you both!! 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment