Monday, February 24, 2014

Can Cross Dressers Be Baptized?

Emmanuel telling me I am no longer the youngest of my family because he is my little brother

10 months baby!

These shoes kill my feet, but I wear them anyway


One night we couldn't sleep so we had some hot coco at like 12 am... This is why you don't drink Pepsi Max at night...

Pepsi Max has become an addiction and boller....always boller

Cleaning the font

And this is what the week drove me to. Well...that and that the chocolate was on sell.

Of course if you have the sisters do a dåp we are going to make it all cutzie! We had people write their testimonies on pieces of paper so we can make a scrap book later for him!

TJ had to learn the piano for the dap this week. To say it was a stressful week would be an understatement

Turning the hot water on!

Floaties in the font? AEshj!

Tj and I getting ready

All the boys!

Refreshments

We just doped...well watched someone else dope...

Our E-man

This is how it is...I'm always talking, Tj is smiling, and Emanual is just well....

The group

Emanual and Kai. Kai baptized E-man.

After Dap

This is me after pulling everything off and feeling SO relieved! Pål, our branch president is laughing at me in the background
Dear Weasley Family and Friends,

         I drank 1.5 liters of Pepsi Max today. 
         I sang We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together while doing yoga last night.
         And I watched my new convert get baptized yesterday. 
         Not a bad week all and all! 

    So as you guys can see, Emmanuel got baptized yesterday at 1030! It was great! I was so nervous because as a missionary you just wait for something to go wrong when it comes to baptisms, but everything that didn't go quite as planned we were able to fix! Not a lot of people were there, but everyone that was important to Emmanuel was, so it didn't matter. I was SO stressed. On Wednesday Emmanuel asked me to sing. I was freaking out! You know me, if I'm going to do something then I want it to be PERFECT, but as a missionary you have limited resources. I knew the exact song that I wanted to sing because it was perfect for E-man, but I couldn't find just an instrumental version, and no one wanted to play for us slash could play, so we had to get creative. We called around until we found a MAC comp and then we asked the excommunicated member's husband if he would be willing to download this app for us. Yes people, this is missionary work in Norway... we ask excommunicated members to teach with us and download apps, and we teach ourselves piano so that we can actually sing at a baptism. So we get this program downloaded and then we go over there and mess with it for like 45 minutes. We weren't able to completely delete the voice, but we got it where it was quieter and sounded like she was under water. SO I just had to sing really loud and clear so that no one could hear her. I ended up singing Child of Light by Mindy Gledhill. Here are the lyrics.. 

Did you ever wonder who you are
do your ever wonder as you stare into the stars
Where you began
And how you got this far
from home?

Have you ever walked along the shore
Have you ever seen the water dancing back and forth
Did you look inside
To see if there was more to life

There’s a dream taking wings
There’s a voice that wants to sing
Even in the deepest darkest night
The Torch is raised to the sky
There are hands that hold it high
You were born to keep it burning bright
You were made to fly you were meant to shine
Child of light

You will never ever stand alone
You were never called to bare your burdens on your own
Where there’s fear
Love will take control
And lead you on

There’s a dream taking wings
There’s a voice that wants to sing
Even in the deepest darkest night
The Torch is raised to the sky
There are hands that hold it high
You were born to keep it burning bright
You were made to fly you were meant to shine
Child of light

There’s a dream taking wings
There’s a voice that wants to sing
Even in the deepest darkest night
The Torch is raised to the sky
There are hands that hold it high
You were born to keep it burning bright
You were made to fly you were meant to shine
Child of light 

    It was perfect for Emmanuel. I was so nervous! I seriously have not done HALF of the things that I have done on my mission. Now someone asks me to sing and I just get up there and do it. It went well though. It was so his song so he loved it. He just light up and said "I love to hear you sing! You should sing every time!" #baptizeddrunkinsteadoflovedrunk I also gave the talk on the Holy Ghost. I am going to be honest with all of you right now... I did not prepare for this talk AT ALL. Oh man I was so worried about everything else that I just didn't have time. The good news is that the Lord loves Emmanuel a lot so he just pretty much gave me everything to say. I talked about the light that comes from the Holy Ghost and how Emmanuel said how safe he felt the first time we met with him. I focused on the peace that comes with the HG and related it to the song. It was really cool because everyone else disappeared in the room and it was just me and Emmanuel. It was so cool! I just bore my testimony to him and talked about the difference he was going to see. Man, it was great! And Emmanuel was SO happy!! 
     Afterwards we had refreshments. One of the members, Marit, brought 3 different cakes! They were so yummy! We just stuffed our faces with all of them. Emmanuel was like 10 minutes late to the church beforehand and Sister Thurgood and I freaked. We were talking to all the Elders and they were telling us to calm down and we were like we are going to go pray! So we stomped off and prayed and then when we came out he was there and the Elders all had smug looks on their faces! Hahaha! Oh man the stresses of the mish. They are a LITTLE different than the stresses of home life! #salvationtrumpsgrades #hvergang Once he came everything went well! We did have a TINY problem with the fact that he forgot underwear. We were all searching and searching and finally found these whitey tighties. Hahaha! I looked at Elder Griffin and said, "Here you go! You take care of it!" It just made everything super memorable! Sister Thurgood learned to play I'm a Child of God and Teach me to Walk in the Light. It was way good especially for only learning in a week, but I guess a member wasn't super impressed and told her not to play again "jokingly". Sister Thurgood sat down at the piano and cried afterwards. While she was crying we were both just laughing because we were so stressed and relieved and happy all at the same time. Love mish life!!!! Everything didn't go perfectly, but Emmanuel loved it and it was the perfect day for him. He is moving to the States to go to school (looking at BYU) so TJ and I promised him that we would go with him through the Temple next February. It's a crazy thing having a convert! He is great!! Yay!! 
           In other news we found a really interesting investigator last week. We had been trying to meet up with this investigator for like a month, and he finally texted us on Friday randomly and asked if we could meet. Hello, we're missionaries so of course we are going to say yes. So we go to the library and are waiting for this investigator. Its always weird waiting to meet up because there are all these people and you are rating them as they walk by on how badly you want them to be your investigator. Sometimes its a nice surprise who you get, other times... not so much. So we are just waiting and this girl walks up. I turn to TJ and said "If that's our investigator than I'm going home.." and then we see her pull out her phone and make a call and then our phone starts ringing. So now I'm confused. I thought the record we had said it was a boy... it was a couple though so maybe we got the numbers confused? So the awkwardness begins... the library is closed so we have to find a cafe to talk. It was a long awkward walk to the cafe because she wasn't very talkative. So not girl like.... so we sit down in the cafe and we get to talking. This is where the funny part comes in. So this lesson is in Norwegian right? Not our native tongue to say the least.. so we ask about the missionaries and where she met them. She says "Oh I met them with my kjæreste (which can be a boy or a girl friend) and we met with them, but I was a boy then." Okay so I hear that, but what TJ hears is that the other person was a girl, so I'm sitting there thinking this is a boy gone girl and TJ is sitting there thinking this is a girl who likes other girls. So I flip. And TJ flips and so we both start rambling. I don't think I have ever talked about more random things about the gospel, or TJ. In the middle the investigator gets up and gets some coffee. TJ slams her hands on the table and her eyes get really big and she says "What are we going to teach her?"  and I slam my hands down beside her and say "That her is a him!" And she goes "......WHAT?!" So I have to catch her all up in between. By the time the investigator came back we were both in shock and wanted out as fast as possible. Not because we hate people like but because we were so unprepared and I was questioning if I even heard that right. So we get a return appointment for a later date and book it home to check the record. The record was vague so we called the missionary who met with him/her first. We asked about the investigator and he said that he always had a teddy bear with him and was super femi. I said "Well he is all femi now..." And that my friends and loved ones is how we got a cross dressing investigator. So the question remains. Can one be baptized? Distrikt leader says if he has been changed than yes. Sister Thurgood was on the phone with him just joking around and laughing because everyone is really uncomfortable and Elder Burt goes "THE ATONEMENT IS FOR EVERYONE HODGKISS!!" And then we all laughed because it wasn't even me on the phone and because we really don't know what to do. So mission president will be getting a call soon. The cool thing is that this investigator really really REALLY wants to learn. And lets be honest if anyone needs love and acceptance its this kid. So we are going to see what we can do! Until then I'll be training myself to say you are a child of God instead of daughter of God... #iampostivenoonehasweirderthingshappentothem 
                Other than that its just normal missionary life. Well actually nothing is normal in Tønsberg life. This is just a weird place. Actually I just think I'm weird so weirdness follows me. This week we have our two deaf investigators in town (love them!), the Valentine's Day Party, and the Sister APs coming to visit us. So its another way busy week. I can't believe that March is coming up! Where does the time go? Honestly sometimes I just think how is it possible I've been on my mission this long and other times I think how is it possible I still have this much left of my mission? Next Transfer is in about 4 weeks. TJ and I are positive that we are going to be split up. We have been together for 4 1/2 months now! We are both way sad because we are besties, but we are both kinda like well maybe we should share our awesomeness with other people. We both think we might be headed to the West Coast. Maybe I'll be back with Elder Ashton in K-sand. Who knows though? I really want to go back North, but I don't think I will get that lucky. We will see though! It sounds like everyone is doing well! Glad the surgery went well, Mom :) 
                   Love you all!
 Keep it real. Keep it classy. And may the odds be ever in your favor! 

Love,
Kat


   Seriously... someone take the Pepsi Max away.... 

         Inline image 1

No comments:

Post a Comment