Monday, July 14, 2014

Humidity, Old People, and Ice Cream Dates‏

Dear Weasley Family and Friends,
       Another week has come and gone. President called like 9 times last week and each time he had ZERO moves rumors for us. Seeing as it is less than one week until Moves Call (Sunday), the mission is obsessed with trying to figure out what is happening. The 17 Miracles are headed home in 12 weeks, so many of us have to be moved to our dying areas, not to mention we have 10 new missionaries coming in, so this moves will be a big one. I had a interview with President this week and asked him to spilled the beans but he just smiled and shook his head at me like you do when you find your 18 month old playing in the flour. To say the least, I got no where with my investigating, which is saying a lot because I always have all the rumors in this mission. I do know however two things. #1. Elder Ashton is on his way here, to Fredrikstad, to become my new District Leader. I told him before the beginning of this transfer that I would see him soon because I was dead set that he was coming. When we had moves call and he didn't get transferred here, I decided that he would still be coming soon, and I was right! He is being moved early because our old District Leader, Elder Hurst, is going to be white washing K-sand with a greenie, and President wanted him to have time to get used to the area before his greenie came in. So that's exciting! Everyone says that I'm going to be transferred since he is my DL because we are such good friends and have wanted to serve together forever. #2. I know that either Mac or I are leaving. I also know that Mac will be in East or Telemark zones for the big conf. in Sept, so if she moves she isn't going far. That's all I got. Lame right? I could be staying or I could be going. No idea!! I think President did the moves board blind this time because it sounds like lots of people are moving around. It will be exciting though!! I will let you guys know next Monday.      
           So other than that we had a AP training meeting where the APs went over all of the skills we need and we had an opportunity to talk about each of them and then do lots of practicing. It was from 10-5:30. At first we were all very much not looking forward to it, but it actually turned out to be really great. I felt really inspired and uplifted. I wrote down a million thoughts and goals I want to work on for these last 3 months. I felt almost like a greenie again, that's how many notes I took. Here are some of the quotes that I loved from the meeting...

  "Some where along the way you have to learn to like it and that will make the world of difference." - Elder Whetten 

   "It's not just what He does or teaches, its who He is." - Jones talking about Christ

  "...willing to look for the Spirit every day." - Elder Whetten

    "He's the message not for everyone else, but for himself." - Jones

    "You realize how much your actions influence your success." - Jones

    "I love the smell of old people." - Elder Edwards 

   "Our goal is that we are natural missionaries." - Jones

     "People need the portion of what they need, not everything we have." - Jones

   " Eternity is made up of right nows." -Sister Aasen 

"We can decide that we are going to continue to continue." - Jones 

"The Narvik push. You push all four door bells at the same time." - Jones

"Yeah... I would usually say that invading someone's home is too bold." - Jones

"Let me ask her if she will join us... MILLLLLDDDDRREEEEEDDDDD!!!!... No she won't join us." -Elder Edwards (acting like an old man in a practice teach)

"Ultimately it doesn't matter what the end result is because we do it to do it." - Jones

"I don't even know what to say to you! You have nothing in your head at all!!" - Jones

        I've been studying obedience and the will of God since the meeting. Mac and I were talking about it and she said, "The only thing that God doesn't have is our will." I've been thinking about how a lot of times in my life I have "sacrificed" or "offered" things to God thinking that it would be enough to be blessed or to get what I wanted, but really the only thing he really wants or needs is our will. Once we give him our will and we follow the guidance He gives us our sacrifices or offerings become opportunities. They become strengths, memories, testimony builders, and we are happier. We come closer to the Lord and we see that what we had to give up or do without wasn't a sacrifice at all.  The Lord can do more with our time, abilities, relationships, skills, and talents than we ever could. As we live our lives based on the principles of the gospel we build on a sturdy foundation. 
           Yesterday we met with an inactive girl. She is 28 and has the most adorable 2 year old boy. She was raised in the church, her parents are still very active. Her dad was even biskopen for many years. She is so cute! She has the adorable personality and cute house. She was very open to having us come in to talk. As we started talking I asked her what it was that she believed in. She explained that she didn't know if God really existed. She never felt that when she prayed that she was actually talking to anyone. Having a child, she hoped that there was more after this life, but she didn't know. She doesn't really like religion and she didn't like some of the social ideas she gained because she was raised a member. I was really glad that she was so open and so willing to talk about her experiences. I know that its quite common to grow up in the church and to never feel anything, but I looked at her cute little family and I thought "Don't you want to be together forever?"
                Meeting with her reminded me of how personal our relationships with God really are. There are people that we meet with that feel the Spirit a lot, receive many answers to prayers, and have great experiences with the Church, and still decide not to join it. Mac and I have talked about this a lot lately. We can bare our testimonies and teach until we are blue in the face, but until they experience it for themselves and the Spirit touches them in the way that they need, it won't work. I'm grateful that God knows us and what we need, that he can give us the answers we need in the way we need them. Personal testimonies are sacred. 
                  You guys... the weather the has been disgusting!!!! It's so ÆSHJ!!!!!!!! It has been so humid and so hot! I felt like I was back in Texas!! One day we met with one of our investigators, Øystein. He asked if we wanted to go get an ice cream and then go sit in the park. So we ate ice cream and sat in the shade and talked about prayer and the Book of Mormon. Øystein is awesome! He used to be an atheist when the missionaries first met him, but now he believes in God. He thinks the Word of Wisdom is a bit crazy and always tells us that that's where it stops for him. We tell him that he needs to get a better testimony of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith and then we will talk to him about it. Love that guy! 
                  Mac and I are going to be enjoying the last full week together! Next Wednesday, 23 Juli, we will have moves, but we will know what's happening on the 20th. We FINALLY got all of our stuff worked out for our Gate stand, so we will be doing that this week too. I'm excited! Thanks again for all the stuff!! It should be a great week! I hope that this email finds you all well. I love you!
Keep it real. Keep it classy. And may the odds be ever in your favor! 

Love,
Kat

P.S. Hahah made you read this! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment