Monday, July 28, 2014

My Norwegain Companion Who Doesn't Speak English‏

Dear Weasley Family and Friends,
              It looks like you all had a fantastic week together!! I am going to be honest, knowing that I soon will be back with you guys it makes me a little home sick. I did however wake up this morning and looked outside and thought to myself, "One day I'm going to wake up and not be in Norway." and felt kind of sad. Everything is so beautiful here, and I will really miss that. I had to look at the academic calendar today to know when school starts back. That was really weird. And the website made me a little sick. I guess for some things it takes more than 16 months to get over the classical conditioning. Crazy times! 
             This week was my first week with my new companion, Sister Trydal. It has been a busy one. We don't really have anyone to teach so we have been doing a lot of finding. Its been hotter than... well... than it should be which hasn't made the week super fun. I've been showering 3 times a day. Everyone tells me that I should be used to it because I am from Texas, but I just remind them that in Texas we stay inside where there is air conditioning! We did get a new fan though, so now we sleep with two fans and that's pretty dang glorious, if you ask me. It was a slow week, but we have some good appointments lined up for this week, so that's good.

 Spoiler alert: My Norwegian Companion Who Doesn't Speak English does speak English. And during language study we get to speak English to help her learn!! #bestthingever She just is more comfortable in Norsk, and so she sticks to that most of the time. She did however speak English for the greenie yesterday. He clapped his hands and jumped up and down. #precious 

               Our new distrik has been assembled. We have 2 new missionaries in Halden, one is a greenie, and then Sister Trydal. The Halden elders are hilarious. I keep shaking my head and asking what President was thinking, but its good to have jokes to laugh at. For some reason the bus stopped coming to Fredrikstad or Sarpsborg from Halden on Sundays, so we had to drive 45 minutes to pick them and then drive 45 minutes to church, and then drive them back and then 45 minutes back to our house. Somehow the elders managed to monologue the whole time. By the end of it I was so exhausted from laughing that I was called all we had left to do was language study. It is a fun distrikt with Elder Ashton, Elder Drage, and greenie Elder Witback, its a non-stop laugh. I told them all that we are having a distrik wide pday for my birthday next week and that they are required to make me a home-made present. No worries, I will send lots of pictures. 
                  You guys... I'm turning 22. Talk about old. I'm now 4 years older than the new elders coming in. #taylorswiftimfeeling22
                    So... yeah... thoughts about what to write? Oh, here's some funny stories. I say "Thoughts?" all the time, like when I'm trying to get other people to tell me what they think or when I'm trying to plan a lesson. Yesterday, Elder Aston taught the investigator class and after he explained a principle he said "Thoughts?" which was even funnier because he said it in Norwegian. I about died. Then fast forward to Sacrament meeting. I had one of my investigators in church yesterday! Score! He is from Iraq and is the sweetest thing ever. He doesn't speak my Norsk, and speaks no English, and he can't read in any language because he didn't go to school. BUT!! He is always so happy when we talk to him about the gospel and he wanted to come to church so we said please do! Well Elder Ashton sat by him in Sacrament meeting. I had sat by him earlier and as we sang I just moved my finger along the words so he could follow the best he could. Most people don't like to sing because they don't know the songs, but he just mumbled the notes and the words. When Ashton sat by him I bumped Ashton and told him to do the same thing, but for some reason Sadun wanted to move his finger along with the words too. So he put his finger right by Ashtons and they just followed along. I was dying trying not to laugh. I kept trying to look up at the ceiling to not burst into snorts. Afterwards, Elder Ashton told me that he felt like it was Sing Along Time with Elder Ashton. Probably one of the funniest Sundays in a long time. Sadun is the best!! I ended up teaching Sadun alone because Sister Trydal was busy talking to members. She came over afterward and was like "Sorry we didn't get to teach Sadun." And I just smiled and said "Oh, we did. I taught him!" She just laughed. You got to do, what you got to do! 
                   Hey mom, can you start looking into housing for the winter semester? I don't care where it is besides the fact that I would rather be on the BYU side of Provo. The wards are much better. But anything works. Also, can you find out when I need to register for classes for next semester? I think it will be in Okt while you guys are here, but I'm not sure. And what is the news about getting permission to come? 
              Btw... here's my address for those of you who are sending lovely wishes of birthday goodness... 
                      
Merkurveien 19
1734 Hafslundsøy

                    Sorry if that's a little big.... I mean it's not like I want mail or anything. Well.. actually I was going to ask you guys if you could maybe kinda sorta send me mail? I know that it's the last 12 weeks and that I will be home so soon, but I am feeling just a little bit idk... lonely with only speaking Norsk all day. So if you guys could send some love my way, I would be forever grateful!! No need to like over night it or anything or to even write that much. Just send me some pics the kids drew or like a receipt from your most recent trip to the store. I am open to anything! #Imahypocrite #Ineversendmail #forgiveme

    Let's just get on with everyone's favorite part.... FUNNY QUOTES!!! Now that I'm living with a Norwegian I think they happen all the time. I either say something weird in Norsk or she thinks that I said something else, so we laugh a lot. 

Me: "Double eww?"  Trydal: "No. Just a normal eww."  - Okay this is funny because when you say W in Norwegian its pronounced as literally double-u. So she thought I was saying with a W when what I was asking was are their two Us? Okay this probably isn't that funny if I have to explain it, but I will look back and laugh! 

Conversations on the heat with missionaries, Me: "Its so hot. Am i in the Philipean or Norway?"   " I've never wanted to swear more in my life." 

Me:  "Anything else?"  Trydal: "Yes!!" sticking her hands in the air and looking victorious  Me: "What?"  Trydal: "I won!"   - That moment when your comp thinks you said something totally different because you guys don't speak the same language

         Okay, I thought that I had a bunch of other quotes, but I re-read them and they weren't that funny. So let's pray the people around me start saying some brilliant things! I am sure they will. Its only a matter of time before I see the Elders again. 
           Hey, quick random question. Its been on my mind all week. I got a blessing last week because I was having a really hard time, and in my blessing it talked about my family. Is everyone doing okay? I don't know, the wording was kind of weird. But it sounds like everyone is doing well. And those pictures were to die for!! I want a copy of all the grand kids together!! That was so cute!! Man, I can't believe I get to meet so many new additions soon! Anyways, I just hope you guys know that I love you all and that you are always in my thoughts and prayers. I've always told myself, when times get hard that even if I've done nothing else, at least my family has been blessed by me serving. It was kinda crazy because in my blessing those exact words were used. I know the Lord is watching over each and everyone of you. I love you! 
             Go enjoy my birthday week for me!! 
Keep it real. Keep it classy. And may the odds be ever in your favor! 

Love,
Kat 

Shout outs!

Mom & Dad- Hey! Thanks for getting married so that I could be born. Okay, that was selfish. Obviously my mission hasn't changed me at all... Lets try again. Thanks for getting married so that the world could be a better place by your wonderful example and the amazingly wonderful children that you have! I hope that you guys eat some Mint Ice Cream Cake for me. They don't have that flavor here! Love you! 

*Also, can I have some more pictures of Knox? Thanks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment